From a TOH booklet I found at a yard sale and submitted by Edie D. from Utah. This makes 2 loaves so beware! It freezes well but if you really only want one loaf, please halve the recipe. A pretty easy recipe to stir up. Moist and full of flavors.
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon orange peel, grated
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups zucchini, shredded (wash and clean or cut off any bad marks, but leave on peel)
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Prepare two 8x4x2 inch loaf pans by spraying with non-stick spray or greasing with butter or shortening.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs, applesauce, oil, orange peel and vanilla.
- Stir wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until moistened (do not over mix or it will cause a very dense bread).
- Gently fold in the zucchini, nuts and chocolate chips.
- Transfer batter evenly into the two prepared bread loaf pans.
- Bake at 350F for 55-60 minutes or until a pick comes out clean from the center.
- Cool for 10-15 minutes before inverting bread onto wire rack to cool completely.
- Do not attempt to slice until bread is completely cool.