Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
From a TOH booklet I found at a yard sale and submitted by Edie D. from Utah. This makes 2 loaves so beware! It freezes well but if you really only want one loaf, please halve the recipe. A pretty easy recipe to stir up. Moist and full of flavors.
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon orange peel, grated
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups zucchini, shredded (wash and clean or cut off any bad marks, but leave on peel)
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Prepare two 8x4x2 inch loaf pans by spraying with non-stick spray or greasing with butter or shortening.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs, applesauce, oil, orange peel and vanilla.
- Stir wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until moistened (do not over mix or it will cause a very dense bread).
- Gently fold in the zucchini, nuts and chocolate chips.
- Transfer batter evenly into the two prepared bread loaf pans.
- Bake at 350F for 55-60 minutes or until a pick comes out clean from the center.
- Cool for 10-15 minutes before inverting bread onto wire rack to cool completely.
- Do not attempt to slice until bread is completely cool.
I also made half the recipe with 1 egg. I used probably 3/4 cup sugar for half recipe. Perfect. Sweet enough with the chocolate chips. I used only cinnamon so doubled the quantity. And I didn't use walnuts. I made muffins. They turned out great and moist. Love the flavor! Thanks Melissa :) Made for 123 hit wonders
A true winner indeed! It was moist and soft with great chocolate flavour! Mmmm!
I made half the recipe using only 1 egg, whole spelt flour and decreasing the sugar and oil a tad. It came out very good nonetheless and I could eat more of it that way. lol
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this great, great recipe with us, HokiesLady!
Made and reviewed for WTTM January 2011.
Super Yummy!! kept everything the same except used peach applesauce, veggie oil in place of canola, dried orange peel, NO walnuts, and 1c milk chocolate chips. soo sooo moist. i may use less vegetable oil or something so its not so moist. i like it but not too much. thanks!!