Recipe by easlks532003
You will never taste better chili we promise! This recipe started 35 years ago in Ohio; and was perfected in Colorado. Try serving it over mashed potatoes (No kidding - It's fantastic, and a great way to feed a hungry crowd). Perfect for Football Saturdays / Sundays! You will be sharing this recipe often!
Top Review by Munchkin Mama
Watch the salt on this one. It would have been great except that the 1 tablespoon of salt was WAY too much. I'm wondering if it was an error and it is supposed to be 1 tsp. I'm going to definitely try it again because using the stew meat is a great idea!!
- 2 lbs beef stew meat (cubed)
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 1 large green bell pepper (diced)
- 3 (24 ounce) cans tomato sauce (Wal-Mart GV Brand is Great)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans dark red kidney beans (drained)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (enough to coat bottom of skillet)
- 1 tablespoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon black pepper (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place stew meat in a sauce pan and cover with cold water. Bring to a slow boil and cook for 2 hours. When meat is done remove from pan and cool on a plate; then remove and discard any fat or gristle and shred with your fingers into desired size. Set meat aside.
- Pre-heat skillet and add enough olive oil to coat the bottom. Add onion, garlic and green bell pepper. Cook over medium heat just until the vegetables start to soften and onion becomes translucent. Remove skillet from heat and set aside.
- Add to a large pot tomato sauce,meat,cooked vegetables,chili beans and salt / pepper / chili powder to taste.
- Mix thoroughly and bring mixture to a medium simmer for one hour. Be sure to stir occasionally during the cooking process and keep the pot covered.
- Serve hot by itself or over mashed potatoes (no kidding, it's great).
- Note: You can cook and shred the meat ahead of time for faster preparation time.