Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Also called edamame, soybeans are a delicious, high protein bean. From the Mississippi Valley chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 3 cups soybeans, cooked (edamame)
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup tomatoes, cooked (canned is fine)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup water (from cooking the beans)
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Arrange alternate layers of soybeans and other vegetables in a well-buttered casserole dish.
- Add salt and pepper to water and pour over vegetables.
- Cover with crumbs, dot with butter and bake in 350F oven for an hour.