Prep 12 mins
Cook 19 mins
This simple, creamy, and satisfying vegetarian soup is from the excellent new cookbook, "The Great Big Veg Challenge: How to Get Your Children Eating Vegetables Happily", by Charlotte Hume. To make this soup vegan, omit the creme fraiche. You can have the soup as is, or top it with almost anything: caramelized onions, fresh scallions, fried shallots, toasted peanuts...
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 potato, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 750 g frozen shelled edamame, defrosted
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons creme fraiche (optional) or 2 tablespoons sour cream (optional)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- In a pan over medium heat, saute the onion and potato in the oil, stirring frequently. Cover and allow it to soften for about 4 minutes, until they have both softened. Stir to prevent the mixture from sticking and burning. Add the beans and the vegetable stock.
- Put the lid on and simmer on a medium heat for 15-20 minutes until the beans are tender.
- Puree in a food processor or with a hand blender. Stir in the creme fraiche, reheat gently without boiling and serve.
My prep time was more than 12 min - but that is because I had to shell the edamame. It was worth the time. Great recipe. I love the creme fraiche in it.