Prep 10 mins
Cook 12 mins
A quick, flavourful and healthy vegetarian (vegan) recipe from the new and excellent cookbook, "The Splendid Table's How to Eat Supper: Recipes, Stories, and Opinions from Public Radio's Award-Winning Food Show" by Lynne Rossetto Kasper and Sally Swift. You can replace the edamame (soy beans) with lima beans Serves 2 to 3 as a main dish; 4 to 5 as a first course.
- 4.92 ml balsamic vinegar
- 29.58 ml chicken broth or 29.58 ml vegetable broth
- good-tasting extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 170.09-226.79 g package tofu (smoked or "savory flavored" and cut into 1/2-inch dice)
- 354.88 ml fresh-cut corn kernels or 255.14 g box frozen corn, defrosted
- 236.59 ml cooked shelled edamame or 236.59 ml cooked lima beans
- 1 large tomatoes, diced
- 3 whole scallions, diced
- red pepper flakes
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Mix the soy sauce, vinegar, and broth together in a small bowl.
- Lightly film the bottom of a large skillet with olive oil and heat it over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and add the garlic, tofu, and soy sauce mixture. Sauté for about 3 minutes more. Be careful not to fully reduce the cooking liquid. If you run out, simply add a bit more broth to the pan to keep things moist.
- Turn the heat to low and stir in the corn, edamame, tomatoes, and scallions. Sauté, stirring gently, for 5 minutes. Turn the heat up to medium and cook for a few more moments, until there is a slight golden glaze in the bottom of the skillet and the flavors are rich and concentrated.
- Season to taste with red pepper flakes, salt, and black pepper. Serve in a shallow bowl.