A quick, flavourful and healthy vegetarian (vegan) recipe from the new and excellent cookbook, "The Splendid Table's How to Eat Supper: Recipes, Stories, and Opinions from Public Radio's Award-Winning Food Show" by Lynne Rossetto Kasper and Sally Swift. You can replace the edamame (soy beans) with lima beans Serves 2 to 3 as a main dish; 4 to 5 as a first course.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth or 2 tablespoons vegetable broth
- good-tasting extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (6 -8 ounce) package tofu (smoked or "savory flavored" and cut into 1/2-inch dice)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh-cut corn kernels or 1 (9 ounce) box frozen corn, defrosted
- 1 cup cooked shelled edamame or 1 cup cooked lima beans
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 3 whole scallions, diced
- red pepper flakes
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Mix the soy sauce, vinegar, and broth together in a small bowl.
- 2Lightly film the bottom of a large skillet with olive oil and heat it over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and add the garlic, tofu, and soy sauce mixture. Sauté for about 3 minutes more. Be careful not to fully reduce the cooking liquid. If you run out, simply add a bit more broth to the pan to keep things moist.
- 3Turn the heat to low and stir in the corn, edamame, tomatoes, and scallions. Sauté, stirring gently, for 5 minutes. Turn the heat up to medium and cook for a few more moments, until there is a slight golden glaze in the bottom of the skillet and the flavors are rich and concentrated.
- 4Season to taste with red pepper flakes, salt, and black pepper. Serve in a shallow bowl.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Edamame and Smoked Tofu Succotash
Serving Size: 1 (318 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 196.6
- Calories from Fat 59
- Total Fat 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 42.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.3 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 13.9 g