Recipe by Wendy's Kitchen
This recipe is from Bon Appetit. I did not want to lose it - it is delicious and unusual.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 large plum tomatoes, quartered
- 4 ounces cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 1 carrot, peeled, slice
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 6 cups canned vegetable broth
- 3 large fresh italian parsley sprigs
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 cup small elbow macaroni
- 2 cups shelled cooked edamame (from about 26 ounces of pods)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large pot (preferably nonstick) over high heat. A.
- dd next 6 ingredients; sauté until vegetables are deep golden brown, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer 1 cup sautéed vegetables to cutting board; chop vegetables and reserve. Add 6 cups broth, parsley and thyme to pot and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until remaining vegetables in pot are very tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat; cool slightly.
- Working in batches, puree vegetable-broth mixture in blender.
- Transfer to strainer set over bowl. Press on solids to extract as much liquid as possible.
- Discard solids in strainer. Return liquid and reserved chopped vegetables to pot. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill.).
- Bring soup to boil, thinning with more vegetable broth if necessary.
- Add pasta; reduce heat to medium and cook until pasta is tender, about 10 minutes. Add edamame; simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes longer. Ladle soup into bowls; top with cheese.