Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Cooking Light. September 2006.
Make and share this Edamame and Barley Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 5 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1 cup coarsely chopped red bell pepper
- 3⁄4 cup chopped red onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup chopped of fresh mint
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 (16 ounce) bagfrozen shelled edamame, thawed (green soybeans)
- To prepare dressing, combine first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk until blended; set aside.
- To prepare salad, cook barley according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Combine cooked barley, bell pepper, red onion, and the remaining ingredients in a large bowl, tossing well to combine.
- Add the dressing, and toss gently to coat evenly. Let stand 15 minutes.
I loved this salad but my husband was not as keen on it. I cooked my barley in broth with a little ground peeper added, so I left out the added salt in the salad part. I also do not care for mint so I omitted that ingredient. I had some corn and grape tomatoes that needed to be used up so I added those to the salad. I thought this had lots of flavour and it is healthy as well. Thanks for the recipe.
I love this! It fits the requirements for Core (a Weight Watchers plan) and it's just absolutely delicious. I made several substitutions to the recipe because it was late and I didn't want to go to the store. Since I was out of lemon, I used a little bit of rice wine vinegar for the acidity in the dressing. I used roasted red pepper instead of fresh. While I love onions, my fella does not (it's a texture thing). I added onion powder and a can of diced water chestnuts, instead. No mint or cilantro in the house so I added a bit of garlic for additional flavor. Ha! I see there were more adaptations than I originally thought. I'm sure the basic recipe is excellent but I loved my version.
Loved it but I have to tell you it took me forever to cook. The Barley according to the package called for it to cook for 1 hour and 1/2 and I made a mistake and bought the frozen edamame not shelled. Big mistake. Took forever to shell them. Otherwise it's a great receipe and I will try it again this week but will make sure I buy the edamame shelled this time. It tastes great on a bed of lettuce. I'm going to try again this week and I'm also going to add a bit more of the dressing than the receipe calls for for a bit more dressing for the lettuce. Thanks for sharing!