Recipe by dicentra
Cooking Light. September 2006.
Top Review by Cilantro in Canada
I loved this salad but my husband was not as keen on it. I cooked my barley in broth with a little ground peeper added, so I left out the added salt in the salad part. I also do not care for mint so I omitted that ingredient. I had some corn and grape tomatoes that needed to be used up so I added those to the salad. I thought this had lots of flavour and it is healthy as well. Thanks for the recipe.
- 5 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 1 cup coarsely chopped red bell pepper
- 3⁄4 cup chopped red onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup chopped of fresh mint
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 (16 ounce) bagfrozen shelled edamame, thawed (green soybeans)
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare dressing, combine first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk until blended; set aside.
- To prepare salad, cook barley according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Combine cooked barley, bell pepper, red onion, and the remaining ingredients in a large bowl, tossing well to combine.
- Add the dressing, and toss gently to coat evenly. Let stand 15 minutes.