Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this recipe when I bought some Reny Picot brand edam cheese. It's a very mild cheese and tastes VERY similar to cheddar with only a hint of an aged taste. If you like cheddar cheese, you'll like this cheese too. If you've never worked with leeks before, they look like big green onions. You want only the green parts so start cutting near the top of the white. I cut them just like I would green onions.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add leeks, broccoli stalks, potatoes, and chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the broccoli florets and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Puree the soup in a blender or food processor.
- (Works best if you do a small amount at a time) Return the soup to the saucepan.
- Add the milk, and reheat the soup until hot.
- Add the cheese and stir until the cheese melts (about 1 minute).
- Serve hot, garnish with extra cheese.
Great-tasting soup! I love edam cheese. I doubled the leeks and used light cream for the milk. It looks like more of a broccoli-cheese soup (which I think would be a more suitable name for it), since the broccoli gives it a nice green color. But whatever you call it....it's excellent! I'll make this again. Thanx.