Prep 35 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a two step process to get a wonderful camp food or a quick meal to go! We use to eat these daily as young kids. These can be wrapped in foil and froze in freezer, then reheated in camp fire. You can also take out of foil and heat in microwave for 10-15 seconds.
- 1⁄2 lb ground meat
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1⁄2 cup cooking oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups milk, warm
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages yeast
- 1⁄2 cup shortening, melted
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups self-rising flour
- Mix first ten ingredients together in a mixing bowl and form into 1 inch balls.
- Fry in cooking oil until browned on all sides, then drain on paper towels to room temperture.
- Combine milk, shortening and yeast.
- Add sugar, salt and flour.
- Roll out and cut with biscuit cutter.
- Add room temperture meatball and roll dough around it.
- Place on greased baking pan, let rise in warm draft free place for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350' degrees F. for 15-20 minutes.