Recipe by SapPHIre 6
This was taken from Leslie Williams Neo-Soul Food cookbook, excellent when served with steamed rice.
- 3⁄8 cup unsalted butter (6 tbsp)
- 2 1⁄2 cups finely chopped onions
- 2 teaspoons finely minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3 green bell peppers, choppped into 3/4 inch pieces
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 4 cups cubed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 2 lbs medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter in a saucepan over medium heat and saute onions and garlic for 5 minutes, DO NOT BROWN!
- Add celery, bell peppers, and jalapenos to the pan and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook for about 4 minutes, stirring often. Do not let the vegetables become soggy; they should remain crisp.
- Add the tomatoes, parsley, and bay leaf. Cover and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes and stir in the Hot Sauce. Remove the Bay Leaf.
- Heat the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter into a frying pan and saute the shrimp over high heat for 1 minute. Pour the tomato mixture over the shrimp, stir well, and bring just to a boil. Remove from heat and serve with rice and lemon wedges as a garnish.