Here is a nice, simple recipe for traditional Ecuadorian potato soup. I have not tried this yet & am posting for ZWT 4.
- 59.16 ml butter
- 3 medium onions (finely chopped )
- 29.58 ml flour
- 709.77 ml chicken broth
- 4 medium potatoes (peeled and diced )
- 0.59 ml saffron
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml aji chili powder (or cayenne )
- 709.77 ml milk
- 118.29 ml green peas
- 3 medium eggs
- 113.39 g cream cheese
- 1 medium avocado (peeled and thinly sliced)
- Heat butter in large saucepan. add onions and saute for 10 minutes, add flour and mix until smooth.
- Add chicken broth gradually, stirring constantly until boiling. add potatoes, saffron, salt and chile powder & simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add milk and peas and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Beat the eggs and cream cheese together in a bowl and gradually add 2 cups of the hot soup, beat constantly to avoid curdling.
- Return the contents of the bowl to the saucepan and heat through but do not boil.
- Place a few slices of avocado in each soup bowl and pour soup over them. serve.