Recipe by Um Safia
Here is a nice, simple recipe for traditional Ecuadorian potato soup. I have not tried this yet & am posting for ZWT 4.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 medium onions (finely chopped )
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 medium potatoes (peeled and diced )
- 1⁄8 teaspoon saffron
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon aji chili powder (or cayenne )
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup green peas
- 3 medium eggs
- 1⁄4 lb cream cheese
- 1 medium avocado (peeled and thinly sliced)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat butter in large saucepan. add onions and saute for 10 minutes, add flour and mix until smooth.
- Add chicken broth gradually, stirring constantly until boiling. add potatoes, saffron, salt and chile powder & simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add milk and peas and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Beat the eggs and cream cheese together in a bowl and gradually add 2 cups of the hot soup, beat constantly to avoid curdling.
- Return the contents of the bowl to the saucepan and heat through but do not boil.
- Place a few slices of avocado in each soup bowl and pour soup over them. serve.