Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
Here is a nice, simple recipe for traditional Ecuadorian potato soup. I have not tried this yet & am posting for ZWT 4.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 medium onions (finely chopped )
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 medium potatoes (peeled and diced )
- 1⁄8 teaspoon saffron
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon aji chili powder (or cayenne )
- 3 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup green peas
- 3 medium eggs
- 1⁄4 lb cream cheese
- 1 medium avocado (peeled and thinly sliced)
- Heat butter in large saucepan. add onions and saute for 10 minutes, add flour and mix until smooth.
- Add chicken broth gradually, stirring constantly until boiling. add potatoes, saffron, salt and chile powder & simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add milk and peas and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Beat the eggs and cream cheese together in a bowl and gradually add 2 cups of the hot soup, beat constantly to avoid curdling.
- Return the contents of the bowl to the saucepan and heat through but do not boil.
- Place a few slices of avocado in each soup bowl and pour soup over them. serve.
My son had to make an Ecuadorian meal for Spanish class. This soup was yummy. We were out of peas, which might have given it more flavor. Don't omit the avocados!
Didn't know what to expect, since I have never used saffron before, but was pleasantly surprised. Used our homemade New Mexico chili powder and it packs quite a punch, especially since I added "just a leetle bit more" than called for. Will have this again. Thnx for posting Um Safia. Made for ZWT4.
This is a very tasty potato soup! I haven't tried soup based on potatoes so my expectations here weren't really that high, but having tasted this was really WOW! It's just so creamy delicious! I can't explain the details *blush* but you just have to try this! I even cut down more than half of the cooking time since I already had the diced potatoes preboiled and all I had to do was mix it at the last part and voila! The avocados too were a nice touch. :)Thanks for sharing this! Made for WZT4.