1/4 Photos of Ecuadorean Potato Cakes With Peanut Sauce (Llapingachos)
1 hr 45 mins
Unlike the other recipes for this, the peanut sauce makes it very different. In this month's gourmet oct o8, haven't tried it yet but can't wait to. (there is a recipe for annato oil on zaar too)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs yukon gold potatoes (yellow fleshed)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup scallion (plus extra 1/2 cup finely chopped)
- 6 tablespoons annatto oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 2 cups muenster cheese, coarsley grated
- 1Peel potatoes and cut into 1 inch pieces. Cover with cold water add salt and simmer til very tender.
- 2While potatoes boil, cook garlic and 1/3 cup scallions in 2 tbs of annatto oil in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring until softened about 2 minutes.
- 3Stir in cumin and 1/4 tsp pepper and cook 1 minute. Add tomato and cook stirring 2 minutes.
- 4Add milk and bring to a bare simmer, then remove from heat and stir in peanut butter until well combined. Keep covered and warm off heat.
- 5Drain and mash potatoes. Cook remaining 1/2 cup of scallions with 1/4 tsp salt and pepper in 2 tbs of annatto oil until softened.
- 6Stir into potatoes along with the cheese. Form into 8 balls, flatten into a 3 inch patty.
- 7Heat 1 tbs annato oil in a non stick pan over medium high, then fry cakes in two batches turning over once until crusty both sides (about 6 mins a side).
- 8Gently reheat peanut sauce thinning with a little water to creamy consistency if needed. Serve with the potato cakes.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ecuadorean Potato Cakes With Peanut Sauce (Llapingachos)
Serving Size: 1 (345 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 586.6
- Calories from Fat 315
- Total Fat 35.0 g
- Saturated Fat 14.5 g
- Cholesterol 60.6 mg
- Sodium 544.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 26.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: