Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Clipped from an old issue of the Houston Chronicle newspaper, this is a great salad, perfect for lunch or a light dinner!
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 3 tablespoons pineapple juice
- 1 teaspoon dried ancho chile powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄4 lbs purple potatoes (or red potatoes)
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- 1 cup snow peas
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 cup pineapple tidbits (drained)
- 2 heads boston lettuce
- 2 hardboiled egg
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Cut the snow peas into thirds. Grate the carrots. Dice the celery. Chop the hardboiled eggs.
- Mix the olive oil, lime juice, pineapple juice, chili powder, salt and pepper in a jar. Shake well to blend. Set aside.
- Scrub the potatoes and pierce with a fork. Arrange in a circle in a microwave. Cook on high 4 minutes. Turn potatoes over and microwave another 4 minutes. Remove from the microwave and wrap in a towel.
- Place corn and snow peas in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on high 2-3 minutes, or until peas turn bright green. Stir in carrots, celery, and pineapple and let cool to lukewarm. Mix with half of the prepared dressing; refrigerate.
- To serve, arrange lettuce on 4 plates. Peel and slice potatoes; arrange in a circle at the outer edges of the lettuce. Place the corn mixture in the center of the lettuce. Sprinkle with chopped eggs and parsley. Drizzle all with remaining dressing.
This looked very interesting but as I was making it I got nervous...will all these things come together? YES! Wow! It seems a strange combination but it works. A nice summertime recipe because the neither the stove nor oven are used & the microwave only minimally. Prep got a but tedious. Everybody raved! I served this with jerk sauce slobbered pork chops & they paired very nicely with the salad. A most excellent summer meal. Thank you! Made for Aussie Tag 7/12.
This is such a diverse recipe. Just a great way to make a new alternative from a simple potato salad.