1/2 Photos of Ecuadorean Arepas
Chef Kate's Note:
These wonderful corncakes are served at Bolivar with a little creme fraiche and salt and pepper. Such a treat!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs frozen corn, thawed
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 cup masa harina
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup monterey jack cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons queso blanco, grated (or cotija or ricotta salata)
- 1 tablespoon butter (for frying)
- 2 teaspoons oil (for frying)
- 1In a food processor or blender, process the corn, melted butter, egg and milk until pureed.
- 2Add masa harina and sugar and pulse to combine (If you are not using a food processor, remove corn mixture from the blender to a large bowl and then add and combine the ingredients).
- 3Let the mixture stand at room temperature for twenty minutes.
- 4Add the cheese and incorporate them into the batter.
- 5Set a large skillet or griddle over medium heat and add the butter and oil and heat till the foam subsides.
- 6Drop heaping tablespoons of batter into the pan and cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side, flattening after each turn.
- 7Serve immediately, with creme fraiche for dipping.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ecuadorean Arepas
Serving Size: 1 (1019 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 79.4
- Calories from Fat 34
- Total Fat 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 15.4 mg
- Sodium 26.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 2.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: