These wonderful corncakes are served at Bolivar with a little creme fraiche and salt and pepper. Such a treat!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs frozen corn, thawed
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 cup masa harina
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄3 cup monterey jack cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons queso blanco, grated (or cotija or ricotta salata)
- 1 tablespoon butter (for frying)
- 2 teaspoons oil (for frying)
- In a food processor or blender, process the corn, melted butter, egg and milk until pureed.
- Add masa harina and sugar and pulse to combine (If you are not using a food processor, remove corn mixture from the blender to a large bowl and then add and combine the ingredients).
- Let the mixture stand at room temperature for twenty minutes.
- Add the cheese and incorporate them into the batter.
- Set a large skillet or griddle over medium heat and add the butter and oil and heat till the foam subsides.
- Drop heaping tablespoons of batter into the pan and cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side, flattening after each turn.
- Serve immediately, with creme fraiche for dipping.