Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I threw this together one afternoon after reading many white chicken chili recipes and not finding anything that would suit my tastes. This is very economical because it uses chicken thighs instead of breasts, and a taco packet instead of a hundred different seasoings. I highly recommend serving this along with tortilla chips, as it's just not the same without. This is amazing by itself, but try topping it with different garnishes, such as sliced green onion, sour cream, or shredded cheese!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red chili pepper, finely diced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth (about 2 cups)
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 ounce taco seasoning mix (I use the spicy hot kind)
- tortilla chips (optional)
- In dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, seasoning salt, and garlic powder.
- Place chicken thighs on a plate, and sprinkle seasoning mix over both sides of the meat, and put into hot oil.
- Cook 8 minutes on each side, covered, and remove from pot.
- With heat still on, add diced onion, chili pepper, and minced garlic cloves to the chicken juices. Sautee 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut up chicken into small bite sized pieces.
- Add diced chicken back into the pot and continue sauteeing with veggies for 5 more minutes.
- Add chicken broth, white beans, green chilis, and taco packet. Stir together.
- Bring to a boil, then turn down heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes with lid on, but cracked.
- Serve hot in bowls with tortilla chips either on the bottom, the top, or on the side for dipping!