Recipe by Kim D.
This homemade laundry soap can really help save money, plus it seems to work as well as the store bought soap. It cost about .30 cents per gallon to make! Prep time does not include letting the mixture set for 24 hours. NOTE I still use Downy in my Downy Ball to make my clothes soft!
- 6 cups water
- 1⁄3 bar fels naptha laundry detergent, grated
- 1⁄2 cup arm & hammer super washing soda laundry detergent, booster (NOT baking soda!)
- 1⁄2 cup 20-mule team borax laundry detergent
- 1 quart hot water
- hot water
Directions See How It's Made
- Fill a saucepan with 6 cups water and add grated Fels Naptha soap.
- Heat on low until soap is dissolved.
- Stir in Washing soda and borax.
- Stir until thickened, and remove from heat.
- Add 1 quart hot water to 2 gallon bucket.
- Add soap mixture, and mix well.
- Fill bucket with hot water, and mix well.
- Set aside for 24 hours.
- Don't forget to cover the bucket to keep small children and pets out.
- Mixture will thicken and gel.
- Use 1/2 cup of mixture per load.
- If clothes are heavily soiled, use 1 cup of the mixture per load.