Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This homemade laundry soap can really help save money, plus it seems to work as well as the store bought soap. It cost about .30 cents per gallon to make! Prep time does not include letting the mixture set for 24 hours. NOTE I still use Downy in my Downy Ball to make my clothes soft!
- 6 cups water
- 1⁄3 bar fels naptha laundry detergent, grated
- 1⁄2 cup arm & hammer super washing soda laundry detergent, booster (NOT baking soda!)
- 1⁄2 cup 20-mule team borax laundry detergent
- 1 quart hot water
- hot water
- Fill a saucepan with 6 cups water and add grated Fels Naptha soap.
- Heat on low until soap is dissolved.
- Stir in Washing soda and borax.
- Stir until thickened, and remove from heat.
- Add 1 quart hot water to 2 gallon bucket.
- Add soap mixture, and mix well.
- Fill bucket with hot water, and mix well.
- Set aside for 24 hours.
- Don't forget to cover the bucket to keep small children and pets out.
- Mixture will thicken and gel.
- Use 1/2 cup of mixture per load.
- If clothes are heavily soiled, use 1 cup of the mixture per load.
I love this, it has a fresh clean smell, never any problem with it, gets my clothes sooooo clean!
I use a recipe similar to this I found online. The recipe I use calls for exact measurements of water and it yields 2 gallons. Other than the water amounts the rest of ingredients are the same. Yes, it is supposed to be a gel like substance. It helps to stir or shake before each use. We have a front loader that uses conserves water and I have had no trouble using this soap on anything. At first I worried the fels naptha would be too strong for my toddler but it's fine. It gets your clothes super clean without leaving any residue behind. I have used a downy ball with white vinegar in the rinse but found it wasn't necessary. I've given this laundry soap to friends and all have raved over it and ask for the recipe. As much laundry as I do, it costs pennies a load now. I've been making my own laundry soap since spring 2009.
This is my recipe too! (I got it from The Queen of Clean.) I add about 10 drops of Sweet Orange essential oil to it. LOVELY!