Recipe by JinxTheCat
...but with no comprimise on the taste! This is a lovely stew that I make all the time, as it happens I'm posting this as I cook it - a great winter warmer. Originally it was just my basic recipe, how mama used to make it, but after seeing various combinations over the years, I've changed it slightly and now I don't think it get's any better. I use "casserole steak" for this and it's beautiful, and reasonably priced. You can use more expensive steak or cheaper cuts of beef, but this is already a lovely dish that is made at a very low cost. I add homemade cheese & chive dumplings (I'll post my recipe after I have posted this one) and put them into the stew 30 minutes before the meal is ready. Serves 4 - half the recipe for 2, half again for 1.
Top Review by Cadillacgirl
This was delicious! I only made 2 little additions - a little worchestershire and some rosemary (I love them in every stew). I even made the chive dumplings to go with it! Made for PAC Spring '12
- 800 g beef, Cubed
- 1 1⁄2 liters beef stock
- 2 onions
- 4 garlic cloves
- 6 celery ribs
- 6 carrots
- 6 potatoes
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 12 -15 homemade cheese & chive dumplings (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Fairly straightforward recipe, pre-heat oven to gas mark 5, or 190 C - I think around 350!
- Chop Beef into cubes if necessary; add to the pot & cover with Stock.
- Chop Onions, Celery, Carrots & Potato; add to the pot.
- Crush Garlic, Chop Thyme & Oregano; add to the pot.
- Stir in half a teaspoon of all spice and give the whole contents of the pot a good stir.
- Cook in the middle of the oven for 30 minutes.
- Prepare your dumplings while this is doing - see my other recipe.
- After 30 minutes, remove from the oven and put the dumplings on the top of the stew, puch them in gently so half of each is 'hidden' - they will sink into the stew.
- Cook again for another 20 minutes. After the 20 minutes, check the stew is not too dry (dumplings suck a lot of moisture up and so you may want to add another cup of boiling water). Once you have done that, or dodn't need to, cook for a final ten minutes.
- Serve. Either alone or with some fresh bread -- mmm.