1/1 Photo of Economical Beef Stew...
1 hr 10 mins
...but with no comprimise on the taste! This is a lovely stew that I make all the time, as it happens I'm posting this as I cook it - a great winter warmer. Originally it was just my basic recipe, how mama used to make it, but after seeing various combinations over the years, I've changed it slightly and now I don't think it get's any better. I use "casserole steak" for this and it's beautiful, and reasonably priced. You can use more expensive steak or cheaper cuts of beef, but this is already a lovely dish that is made at a very low cost. I add homemade cheese & chive dumplings (I'll post my recipe after I have posted this one) and put them into the stew 30 minutes before the meal is ready. Serves 4 - half the recipe for 2, half again for 1.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Fairly straightforward recipe, pre-heat oven to gas mark 5, or 190 C - I think around 350!
- 2Chop Beef into cubes if necessary; add to the pot & cover with Stock.
- 3Chop Onions, Celery, Carrots & Potato; add to the pot.
- 4Crush Garlic, Chop Thyme & Oregano; add to the pot.
- 5Stir in half a teaspoon of all spice and give the whole contents of the pot a good stir.
- 6Cook in the middle of the oven for 30 minutes.
- 7Prepare your dumplings while this is doing - see my other recipe.
- 8After 30 minutes, remove from the oven and put the dumplings on the top of the stew, puch them in gently so half of each is 'hidden' - they will sink into the stew.
- 9Cook again for another 20 minutes. After the 20 minutes, check the stew is not too dry (dumplings suck a lot of moisture up and so you may want to add another cup of boiling water). Once you have done that, or dodn't need to, cook for a final ten minutes.
- 10Serve. Either alone or with some fresh bread -- mmm.
Nutritional Facts for Economical Beef Stew...
Serving Size: 1 (953 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 644.4
- Calories from Fat 295
- Total Fat 32.8 g
- Saturated Fat 13.5 g
- Cholesterol 43.6 mg
- Sodium 1559.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.6 g
- Sugars 10.2 g
- Protein 16.5 g