Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
A friend of mine I worked with brought this into work for everyone as a treat and I couldn't stop eating them! They're a bit more work than the other eclair recipes so I guess this wouldn't be for the "Quick and Easy" recipe lovers but I think it's worth the effort. (I guess you really have to love your desserts like I do!!)
Cream Puff Base
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, at room temp
- 2 (3 1/2 ounce) packages French vanilla instant pudding
- 2 1⁄2 cups cold milk
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 3⁄4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 6 -8 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 400'.
- Cream Puff Base:.
- Bring 1 cup water and 1/2 cup butter to a boil, add flour and salt and mix until dough leaves sides of the pan.
- Remove from heat, Cool slightly and add eggs, one at a time.
- Spread dough on ungreased jelly roll pan and bake at 400' for 35 minutes.
- Break bubbles that form on top and press crust down to be flat, cool completely.
- Combine both pudding mixes and 2 1/2 cups milk and blend. Add cream cheese and beat thoroughly.
- Whip cream until soft peaks form and spread over pudding.
- Melt chocolate chips, with 4 tablespoons butter, in microwave on high, stirring every 25-30 seconds until completely melted. Slowly Stir in 2 cups powdered sugar and 6-8 tbsp milk and beat until smooth. Put chocolate Frosting in small plastic bag, snip off small portion of corner of bag and drizzle frosting over entire top of dessert.
- Refrigerate one hour before serving. Cut into squares to serve.