1/4 Photos of Eccles Cakes
A totally delicious and traditional British cake - 1793 James Birch’s shop on the corner of Vicarage Road in Eccles began selling small, flat, raisin-filled cakes. They sold, quite literally, like hot cakes! This is my Grandmother's recipe, which ,compared to the original, holds a more varied dried fruit. Best to double the recipe as you will never have enough to satisfy everyone.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place currants, sultanas, white sugar, brown sugar, butter, water, marmalade, mixed spice,and golden syrup in a saucepan.
- 2Gently bring to the boil, simmer for a minute, stirring constantly.
- 3Set aside to cool.
- 4Roll out the pastry; cut into squares about 4 inches square.
- 5Place a heaped dessert spoon of the mixture in the middle.
- 6Fold pastry over and gently flatten so that they are about half an inch thick.
- 7Slash gently 2 or 3 times with a knife.
- 8Bake on a lined tray in a hot oven for about 10 minutes until they are golden brown.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eccles Cakes
Serving Size: 1 (638 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 256.3
- Calories from Fat 89
- Total Fat 9.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 3.0 mg
- Sodium 73.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 27.4 g
- Protein 2.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: