Prep 40 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
From Cynthia Wine's "Hot and Spicy Cooking: Food So Good, It Hurts." The name is inspired by the rich, warm colour of the skin after the duck has been roasted with soy sauce, honey and red pepers. It is as delicious as it looks and simple to prepare.
- 1 -5 lb duckling
- 2 inches piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup liquid honey
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and quartered
- 4 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Wash ducking and dry thoroughly inside and out with paper towels. Remove excess fat from body cavity.
- Rub duck with sliced ginger and place slices of ginger in cavities, then rub with 4 tsp soy sauce and place on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. Let stand for 30 minutes.
- Place duck in oven and begin to bake, uncovered.
- Meanwhile, combine the remaining soy sauce, honey, sherry, garlic, and red pepper flakes in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After the duck has roasted for 1 1/2 hours, baste with soy sauce mixture. Baste again after another half hour, and continue roasting for 1/2 hour.
- Duck will roast for a total of 2 1/2 hours.