1/1 Photo of Ebelskiver (Spiced Apple-Filled Pancakes)
Cucina Casalingo's Note:
With a spoonful of spiced apple filling tucked inside and accompanied by maple whipped cream, these pancakes make a special treat for an autumn brunch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the filling
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 3 granny smith apples, peeled and grated
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
For the maple whipped cream
For the filled-pancake batter
- 1To make the filling:
- 2In a fry pan over medium heat, cook the butter, brown sugar, apples, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon and lemon juice, stirring frequently, for about 20 minutes.
- 3Drain off any liquid. Set aside.
- 4To make the maple whipped cream:.
- 5In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat together the heavy cream, maple syrup and salt until soft peaks form.
- 6Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- 7To make the filled-pancake batter:
- 8In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, granulated sugar and salt.
- 9In another bowl, lightly whisk the egg yolks, then whisk in the buttermilk and sour cream.
- 10Whisk the egg yolk mixture into the flour mixture until well combined; the batter will be lumpy.
- 11Set aside.
- 12In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites on high speed until stiff but not dry peaks form, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 13Using a rubber spatula, gently stir the whites into the batter in two additions.
- 14Brush the wells of a filled-pancake pan with melted butter. Heat over medium heat until the butter bubbles.
- 15Pour 1 Tbs. batter into each well and cook for 2 minutes.
- 16Spoon 1/2 teaspoons apple filling into the center of each pancake and top with 1 Tbs. batter.
- 17Cook until the bottoms are golden brown and crispy, about 2 minutes more. Using 2 skewers or toothpicks, flip the pancakes over and cook until golden and crispy, about 3 minutes more.
- 18Transfer the pancakes to a plate. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- 19In a small bowl, combine the confectioners sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle on the pancakes.
- 20Serve with the maple whipped cream.
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ebelskiver (Spiced Apple-Filled Pancakes)
Serving Size: 1 (321 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 589.7
- Calories from Fat 299
- Total Fat 33.3 g
- Saturated Fat 20.0 g
- Cholesterol 189.8 mg
- Sodium 647.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 29.3 g
- Protein 11.5 g