Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Had this dish somewhere and had been craving ever since. Unable to find the recipe, put together my own and it turned out just as I'd hoped. The key is the saltiness of the Smithfield ham. No canned mushrooms allowed! Only the fresh boys. Suppose you could use prosciuotto in place of Smithfield ham. Hope you find this as easy and delightful as I did.
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 slices Smithfield Ham, sliced thin
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Pre heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat 2 tbsps of butter in skillet and saute mushrooms until tender-- remove.
- Pound chicken breasts between sheets of wax paper until approximately 1/4 in thick. Salt and pepper on both sides, then dredge in flour.
- Heat remaining butter and oil in skillet and brown chicken over medium heat until done and nicely browned-- arrange chicken breasts in a lightly greased, shallow baking pan.
- Place ham slices in same oil and cook just a few minutes until crisp, then place ham on top of each chicken breast.
- Spoon the mushrooms over the chicken and ham.
- Add the wine to the remaining oil and scrape up bits of chicken and ham, bringing to a boil. Pour wine sauce over the chicken/ham.
- Place 1/3 cup of cheese on top of each breast and bake in the pre-heated oven just until the cheese begins to melt.