4 hrs 15 mins
From the original Eating Well magazine. This recipe is from 1990. I wanted to post it here so I don't lose it. Ask the butcher to saw the bones to the right size and there is very little prep time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place bones and 10 cups water in a large stockpot and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for about 2 1/2 hours. Strain stock and return to pot.
- 2Preheat oven to 500°F Coat onions and tomatoes with the olive oil and place in a 9x13 roasting pan. Cook for about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are well browned.
- 3Add browned vegetables to stock along with the remaining ingredients.
- 4Place roasting pan over medium heat, add about a cup of stock and stir to loosen all the browned bits. Add back to the stockpot.
- 5Return stock to the boil, lower heat and simmer, partially covered, for 1 1/2 hours.
- 6Strain stock through a fine sieve. Discard the solids. Chill stock. Skim hardened fat from the stock and discard.
- 7Stock keeps in the refrigerator for 2 days. Freezes for up to 6 months.
Browse Our Top Stocks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eating Well's Rich Meat Stock
Serving Size: 1 (185 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 250.1
- Calories from Fat 148
- Total Fat 16.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 59.0 mg
- Sodium 58.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 16.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: