Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
From the original Eating Well magazine. This recipe is from 1990. I wanted to post it here so I don't lose it. Don't skimp on the time, it is necessary to develop the gelatin and body of the stock.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs fish heads, and bones from white fish
- 4 cups cold water
- Use heads and bones from any firm-fleshed, white-meat fish such as halibut, cod or snapper.
- Clean the parts ofany blood and cut into 2 inch pieces.
- Place bones and heads in a non-aluminum stockpot with 4 cups cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer over low heat, partially covered, for 4 hours. Add water as needed during cooking to keep bones covered.
- Be sure to skim off any foam that accumulates on the surface.
- Strain stock through a fine sieve, discard the solids.
- Stores in the refrigerator for 2 days, tightly covered. Freezes for up to 6 months.