Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From the original Eating Well magazine. This recipe is from 1990. I wanted to post it here so I don't lose it.
- Core tomatoes and chop into 1 into pieces.
- Combine tomatoes, garlic and oil into a 5 quart non-aluminum saucepot. Simmer, uncovered, over low heat for about an hour, or until tomatoes and garlic and soft. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Pass the mixture through a food mill or sieve. Discard the pulp and return the puree to the saucepan.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 1 - 1 1/2 hours, stirring often, until the mixture is thick. Time depends on moisture content of tomatoes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Keeps in the refrigerator for up to a week, freezes for up to 2 months.