Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
While looking for something entirely different, I found this recipe, entitled "5 Minutes/3 Bananas/1 Loaf of Goodness" Banana Bread. As I'd been looking for a good, simple banana bread recipe for some time, I decided to add this one to my recipes here, because it definately fits the bill. Personally, I add nuts, as they're a must in banana bread in this house, but add whatever you like best in yours.
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour (can substitute part whole wheat flour)
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup margarine or 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 bananas, mashed (about 1+ cup)
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄2-1 cup walnuts (or whatever your heart, or taste buds, desire!) or 1⁄2-1 cup pecans (or whatever your heart, or taste buds, desire!) or 1⁄2-1 cup chocolate chips (or whatever your heart, or taste buds, desire!) or 1⁄2-1 cup coconut (or whatever your heart, or taste buds, desire!)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 9x5” loaf pan.
- In large bowl, mix first 5 ingredients, then cut in the margerine or butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles course crumbs (a potato masher works well for this, too)/ With fork stir in mashed bananas and beaten eggs, just until blended. Spread batter into a pan.
- Bake 55 minutes to 1 hour until toothpick comes out clea. Cool for 10 minutes on a rack, then remove from pan.
That 1 star review has got to go!! At least how I made it (gluten free) it came out to be the best banana bread I have ever made! I made them in muffin cups. In fact they were the most beautiful looking muffins I have made in a while. Very high rising. I cheated a little as I did not use butter this time but canola oil in the amount the gluten free recipe I follow uses, we try to be dairy free anyway. As usual I base my gluten free muffin making on recipe#360337 which was incorporated into making 1 batch of this recipe. I just used tapioca starch for both starches called for in the gluten free recipe, the granulated sugar rather than brown sugar called for in the gluten free recipe, I have not found a baking powder I can use so I add a bit of additional baking soda in the amount called for in the gluten free recipe plus I add 1 tbs organic apple cider vinegar with the walnuts as the last addition and then quickly get it into the oven but I did bake only 25 minutes for the muffins and they were fully cooked, I used the two (large) eggs called for here, I was a little reluctant to do so but I think that is what made them rise so high. Plus the rest of ingredients called for in the gluten free recipe to make moist muffins. I will make these again the same way and would like to try them with butter too. Made for Veggie Swap 38 ~ September ~
Delicious, easy and oh so quick to make! I made this banana bread exactly as directed by the recipe and ended up with a perfectly baked, flavourful banana bread. The inside was cooked perfectly. The crust was nice and brown. Thanks for posting this recipe. I can't believe how quickly I was able to throw it together without the need of a mixer. Made for Veggie Swap 38
THE BEST BANANA BREAD I HAVE EVER MADE!!!!!!!
This is the best tasting banana bread ever! I agree, that 1 star has to go!