1/1 Photo of Eat Til You Bust Chicken Tortilla Soup
3 hrs 20 mins
There are a lot of chicken tortilla soup recipes here, and I have hesitated to post mine because of it, but this is honestly THE BEST soup I have ever had (and I've tried quite a few!). It is a bit spicy, but it is so satisfying, and feeds a hungry crowd! This recipe, like most soup recipes is pretty loose on the measurements, seasonings are very much "to taste." If you like more corn, add more corn, want more carrots, go ahead! You get the idea.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 bone in chicken breasts
- 5 quarts water
- 8 stalks celery, sliced in 1/4-inch pieces
- 8 carrots, peeled and sliced in 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 -3 medium onions, chopped
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 6 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white pepper (can use more)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper (can use more)
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (can use more)
- 1 teaspoon cumin (can use more)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 (8 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chilies, original (Rotel)
- 2 (8 ounce) cans diced tomatoes and green chilies, mild (Rotel)
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream (can use more)
- 3 (15 ounce) cans corn, drained
- 30 corn tortillas
- monterey jack and cheddar cheese blend, fancy shred (for topping)
- peanut oil or canola oil or vegetable oil, for frying tortilla strips
- 3 -4 tablespoons chicken base (Better than Bullion, can use more)
- 1In a large stockpot, over med hi heat, boil chicken, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, salt, and peppers in water for 1 to 2 hours, or until chicken is very tender, and easy to de-bone.
- 2Remove chicken and let cool. Reduce heat to simmer.
- 3Add Rotel, cilantro, corn, and cumin to the pot, stir well.
- 4Remove chicken from the bone, and chunk. Add to the pot. Simmer 30 minutes.
- 5Add cream. Stir in bullion paste to taste.
- 6Cut tortillas in thin strips, and fry in heated oil (med hi heat) until golden brown, drain on paper towels.
- 7Place tortilla strips in bottom of bowl, ladle soup over top. Sprinkle with cheese.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eat Til You Bust Chicken Tortilla Soup
Serving Size: 1 (812 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 632.5
- Calories from Fat 255
- Total Fat 28.3 g
- Saturated Fat 13.5 g
- Cholesterol 111.6 mg
- Sodium 1884.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 76.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.5 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 26.0 g