Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
There are a lot of chicken tortilla soup recipes here, and I have hesitated to post mine because of it, but this is honestly THE BEST soup I have ever had (and I've tried quite a few!). It is a bit spicy, but it is so satisfying, and feeds a hungry crowd! This recipe, like most soup recipes is pretty loose on the measurements, seasonings are very much "to taste." If you like more corn, add more corn, want more carrots, go ahead! You get the idea.
- 5 bone in chicken breasts
- 5 quarts water
- 8 stalks celery, sliced in 1/4-inch pieces
- 8 carrots, peeled and sliced in 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 -3 medium onions, chopped
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 6 teaspoons salt (or to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons white pepper (can use more)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper (can use more)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (can use more)
- 1 teaspoon cumin (can use more)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 (8 ounce) candiced tomatoes and green chilies, original (Rotel)
- 2 (8 ounce) cansdiced tomatoes and green chilies, mild (Rotel)
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream (can use more)
- 3 (15 ounce) cans corn, drained
- 30 corn tortillas
- monterey jack and cheddar cheese blend, fancy shred (for topping)
- peanut oil or canola oil or vegetable oil, for frying tortilla strips
- 3 -4 tablespoons chicken base (Better than Bullion, can use more)
- In a large stockpot, over med hi heat, boil chicken, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, salt, and peppers in water for 1 to 2 hours, or until chicken is very tender, and easy to de-bone.
- Remove chicken and let cool. Reduce heat to simmer.
- Add Rotel, cilantro, corn, and cumin to the pot, stir well.
- Remove chicken from the bone, and chunk. Add to the pot. Simmer 30 minutes.
- Add cream. Stir in bullion paste to taste.
- Cut tortillas in thin strips, and fry in heated oil (med hi heat) until golden brown, drain on paper towels.
- Place tortilla strips in bottom of bowl, ladle soup over top. Sprinkle with cheese.
Delicous and pretty easy to make. This is the first soup that I have made from scratch. Next time I will cut down on the ingredients a little bit, my pot wasn't large enough to hold everything and it started overflowing. It makes a TON of soup. I forgot to add the garlic, but everything tasted great anyway. Thanks for the recipe!!
I made this for Cinco De Mayo, and let me tell you, it was a HIT! It's really creamy, and spicy, (I made it spicier for our taste) There is just something really satisfying about it. The tortilla crisps give a nice crunchy texture that makes it special, the chicken gets very tender, and absorbs the flavor, nice fresh carrots, and celery. Then there is the gooey cheese on top.. Yum! It is literally making my mouth water thinking about it! Thanks for posting this recipe!
I made this because I wanted something warm, and spicy. I honestly never expected it to be THIS good! My husband ate so much, he had to take a nap! I agree, this may well be the best soup I have ever eaten! Bravo!!!!