Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Another healthy recipe from the "Eat Right" edition of Canadian Living magazine.
- 2 tablespoons oil (for frying, I use olive oil)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 carrots, peeled or scrubbed,sliced thin
- 2 stalks celery, sliced thin
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb lean ground turkey, ground chicken or 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup frozen corn or 3⁄4 cup canned corn
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (19 ounce) can white kidney beans or 1 (19 ounce) can red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 4 large crusty rolls
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese or 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese
- In a saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat, then cook red and green peppers, carrots, celery, onion and garlic for about five minutes, stirring often, until softened.
- Add the meat (either ground turkey, chicken, or beef) and cook until no longer pink (about 3 minutes or so).
- Stir in tomatoes, corn, chili powder, salt, cumin, oregano and pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so.
- Stir in beans and cook uncovered for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
- Cut out wedge along the top of each roll and pull out some of the inside to hollow out a"bowl" with side at least 1/2" thick.
- Spoon chili in the"bowl" and sprinkle with your choice of cheese.
Really good chili, and very colorful! This recipe isn't spicy, so you'll need to add in some chilies/spices if you want to add some heat.