Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
This recipe has been posted for ZWT II & my source is my "Classic Scandanavian Cooking" cookbook by Nika Hazelton. Per the intro, "From Mrs. Arne Christiansen, who lived in America but cooked in the best Danish manner. This cake is quick & easy to make."
- Set oven at 350°F Cream together butter & confectioner's sugar till mixture is fluffy.
- Beat in eggs 1 at a time. Stir in lemon rind.
- Sift flour w/baking powder. Add flour to batter, alternately w/milk.
- Spread batter in buttered & floured 9-in square baking pan. Arrange apple slices on top of batter in overlapping rows.
- Sprinkle w/almonds. Sprinkle w/sugar in an amt that depends on the sweetness of the apples you have used.
- Bake 50 min or till cake tests done. Serve w/sweetened whipped cream.
Gotta eat me some more Danish Tea Cakes!!! I made 1/2 of the recipe and used my small spring form pan, which worked well except for getting the topping toasted/browned. Other then only making 1/2 of the recipe, the only other change I made was to just toss the sliced apples in a bag with a cinnamon/sugar combination and then arrange them atop the batter, yummy!!! Just loved the apple and almond combination in this cake. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for Photo Tag Game.
Seeing as twissis was kind to adopt me as a camera-less chef :) I had the pleasure of choosing one to make in honour of them :) so I chose this one seeing as we had a luncheon to attend yesterday. I am still in Canada with SIL. This is a truly wonderful cake.Perfect for my occassion. Not too sweet but yet delicate and savory enough too endulge (if that makes sense). Went over BIG. Thanks twissis. I am happy to have made one of your recipes.