Prep 5 mins
Cook 7 mins
I was very happy to find this low fat breakfast burrito; the flavor with a little salsa was so good.
- 473.18 ml egg whites
- 118.29 ml nonfat cottage cheese
- 118.29 ml tomatoes, chopped
- 118.29 ml sweet green peppers or 118.29 ml sweet red pepper, chopped
- 118.29 ml sweet onion, chopped (vidalia or purple)
- 118.29 ml black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 small whole wheat tortillas, wrap
- sea salt
- fresh pepper
- Preheat oven to 170°F and place tortilla wraps in oven to warm while preparing remaining ingredients.
- In a small bowl whisk egg whites, cottage cheese, salt and pepper.
- In a medium skillet coated with cooking spray, sauté vegetables and beans until soft. Pour the egg/cottage cheese mixture over vegetables and cook until mixture sets. Once firm, divide egg mixture among the warmed tortillas. Roll each into a burrito.
- Garnish with low-fat, low sodium salsa.
These were good. I am glad to have found a healthy alternative to the McD's burritos that I love so much! I left out the veggies, so I only used the egg whites, pepper, and cottage cheese. I also halved it since I am the only one who will eat them (1 cup egg whites & 1/4 cup cottage cheese). They filled 3 tortillas. I only had one and I was stuffed! As for the torillas, I just microwaved them for 30 seconds to warm them up. I admit I cheated a bit and added a tiny bit of cheese when I heated the torillas :) I will be using this next time I get a craving for McD's. Good taste, quick to prepare, and few dishes = great recipe!
These were very light tasting and filling. Very good breakfast-on-the-go. The recipe, however, made way more burritos than just four. I ended up with nine, which was not a bad thing because they were very good and froze just fine. Thanks for posting.
Awesome! A very healthy way to start the day. The protein and fiber kept be sustained throughout the morning. The recipe is pretty versatile, you can add peppers, mushrooms, etc. Thanks for posting!