Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I originally found these on a forum on the Eat Clean Community Forum but wanted to save the recipe here and also get the nutrition info! They are yummy, easy and very healthy. I use raw sugar/sucanat but that is not an understood ingredient.
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 mashed bananas
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1⁄2 cup cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350. Line 12 cup muffin tin with liners or spray with non stick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl mix flour, cinnamon, baking powder and soda.
- In medium mixing bowl mix sucanat/sugar, bananas, applesauce and egg whites.
- Place blueberries and cranberries in dry flour mixture and stir gently to coat fruit.
- Mix the banana mixture in with the dry flour mixture and stir until just moistened.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups.
- Bake 18-22 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
- I have also sprinkled a few crystals of sugar/sucanat on tops and this is attractive and tasty. Frozen or fresh cranberries are fine.
- Makes 12-18 muffins.
I made this recipe without the blueberries and mashed bananas and instead included more cranberries. I also included about half a cup of milk because the batter was quite dry after I mixed everything together. I added about 1/3 cup more sugar than the recipe called for, but it still came out kind of bland.
Next time I make it I would still add the milk, but would change the amount of sugar to at least 1 whole cup or would use Truvia which is sweeter than sugar. Overall I would say it is a good muffin recipe and personally did not mind it was not very sweet, but if making for others I would add more sugar. Would also be great with nuts in it.