1/1 Photo of Easy yet Decadent Red Velvet Cupcakes
This is extremely easy yet wonderfully decadent cupcake recipe using red velvet cake mix that has been doctored up and a homemade buttercream/cream cheese frosting. When I make them, I have to hide a couple or I won't get any! Be warned; the batter is very thick. You haven't messed it up. Also, it makes a lot of frosting but as the frosting is so delicious, you won't mind having your cupcakes well covered :-)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (18 ounce) box red velvet cake mix
- 1 (4 ounce) box chocolate instant pudding
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened (NOT whipped)
- 1 lb powdered sugar (confectioners, about 4 cups)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1 cup whipped topping (home made or cool whip, both work fine)
- 1Prepare cake mix as directed on box, adding in the box of chocolate pudding mix and 1 tsp of the vanilla extract.
- 2Beat well; batter WILL be thick.
- 3Fill a touch over half full muffin tins that have been well greased or lined with muffin/cupcake liners; don't fill too high as they rise considerably.
- 4Cool on rack when done.
- 5This will make approximately 24 cupcakes.
- 6As cupcakes bake, make frosting.
- 7Using a mixer, beat cream cheese, remaining tsp of vanilla and butter in large bowl until well blended; gradually beat in powdered sugar.
- 8Careful beating in the sugar or you (and your kitchen) will end up looking like an audition for a movie of Casper the Friendly Ghost hehe.
- 9Beat in whipped topping and continue beating until frosting is thick and creamy looking, giving it enough time for the powdered sugar to break down and dissolve or you will have grainy frosting.
- 10If TOO thick, add cream or milk a LITTLE at a time until of piping consistency. You can always add a touch more cream; you can't take it out so be careful.
- 11Pipe or spread frosting on top of cupcakes when cool -- then pig out. :-).
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy yet Decadent Red Velvet Cupcakes
Serving Size: 1 (40 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 165.6
- Calories from Fat 70
- Total Fat 7.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.8 g
- Cholesterol 22.4 mg
- Sodium 99.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 21.2 g
- Protein 0.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red velvet cake mix