1/1 Photo of Easy (Yet Awesome) Chicken Empanadas
I came up with this recipe by mixing a few different ones that I have used. I think it's awesome and has great flavor. I like to put Cholula hot sauce on mine and dip in sour cream. Hope you like it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2-2 cups cooked chicken (I like to shred a rotisserie chicken)
- 1 cup Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can green chilies, chopped (I use Old El Paso)
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, chopped (can use more or less depending on your liking)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (should just coat the bottom of the pan)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes (can adjust to your liking)
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 3 pie crusts, prepared (I use the Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crusts)
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- 2Heat oil over med-high heat in a large skillet.
- 3Saute onions and garlic about 4 minutes, until onions are translucent.
- 4Add cumin, cayenne pepper, chili flakes and dried oregano. Make sure to mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- 5Add black beans, chicken and green chilies. Salt and pepper to taste. Cook for around 2 minutes until incorporated and heated through.
- 6Add chicken stock a little at a time, just to moisten the mixture. You may not need to use the entire 1/4 Cup. You want to make sure that the mixture is moist but not soupy. Simmer for about 5-7 minutes.
- 7Take mixture off burner and let cool to room temperature.
- 8Add cheese and mix thoroughly.
- 9Roll out dough onto floured surface.
- 10Cut 4" circles out of the dough (I like to use a medium sized cereal bowl to cut the circles, but you can make yours smaller or larger).
- 11Fill the middle of each circle with about 1.5 - 2 Tbl of the mixture. Don't overfill. Fold each circle in half (sealing in the mixture) and crimp the ends with a fork to close the dough.
- 12Brush tops with egg yolks and sprinkle with chili powder.
- 13Cook for 12-14 minutes at 400°F.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy (Yet Awesome) Chicken Empanadas
Serving Size: 1 (317 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1179.7
- Calories from Fat 682
- Total Fat 75.8 g
- Saturated Fat 21.4 g
- Cholesterol 198.9 mg
- Sodium 1167.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 87.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.7 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 38.3 g