I came up with this recipe by mixing a few different ones that I have used. I think it's awesome and has great flavor. I like to put Cholula hot sauce on mine and dip in sour cream. Hope you like it!
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups cooked chicken (I like to shred a rotisserie chicken)
- 1 cup Mexican blend cheese, shredded
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can green chilies, chopped (I use Old El Paso)
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed well
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, chopped (can use more or less depending on your liking)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil (should just coat the bottom of the pan)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes (can adjust to your liking)
- salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup chicken stock
- 3 pie crusts, prepared (I use the Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crusts)
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 -2 teaspoon chili powder
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- Heat oil over med-high heat in a large skillet.
- Saute onions and garlic about 4 minutes, until onions are translucent.
- Add cumin, cayenne pepper, chili flakes and dried oregano. Make sure to mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add black beans, chicken and green chilies. Salt and pepper to taste. Cook for around 2 minutes until incorporated and heated through.
- Add chicken stock a little at a time, just to moisten the mixture. You may not need to use the entire 1/4 Cup. You want to make sure that the mixture is moist but not soupy. Simmer for about 5-7 minutes.
- Take mixture off burner and let cool to room temperature.
- Add cheese and mix thoroughly.
- Roll out dough onto floured surface.
- Cut 4" circles out of the dough (I like to use a medium sized cereal bowl to cut the circles, but you can make yours smaller or larger).
- Fill the middle of each circle with about 1.5 - 2 Tbl of the mixture. Don't overfill. Fold each circle in half (sealing in the mixture) and crimp the ends with a fork to close the dough.
- Brush tops with egg yolks and sprinkle with chili powder.
- Cook for 12-14 minutes at 400°F.