1/2 Photos of Easy Yeast Bread With Variations
3 hrs 30 mins
Found online in response to a request and now posted by request. The blurb that accompanied it read as follows: "The following came from a pamphlet of the same title I picked up in the baking supplies aisle of a Krogers in either Kalamazoo or Battle Creek about 25 years ago. I've used every variation and facet of the instructions and had nothing but success! My faves are the rye breads. Unlimited variety from these basic recipes!" I have not tried this recipe so times and servings are a guess-timate. A lot of directions but then... a LOT of variations to try.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1WHITE BREAD: (Basic Recipe).
- 2Lightly spooning flour into measuring cup & leveling off, measure out 2 1/2 cups flour. Combine flour, dry yeast, sugar, & salt in a large mixer bowl; blend.
- 3In a medium saucepan, combine water, milk, and oil; heat until very warm (120 to 130F).
- 4Add eggs and liquid to flour mixture.
- 5MIXING - Blend at low speed until moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed. With a wooden spoon, stir in an additional 3 to 3-1/2 cups of flour to form a sticky dough. In bowl or on a floured board, gradually work in 1/2 to 1-1/2 cups more flour, kneading or working in with hands until dough is smooth, pliable and no longer sticky (about 5 minutes).
- 6RISING - place dough in a greased bowl; cover with a cloth or loose fit lid. Let rise in a warm place until light and double in size, about 45 minutes.
- 7SHAPING & BAKING:Punch down dough to remove air bubbles; divide dough into two parts. From dough into desired shapes; place in greased pans according to Shaping and Baking directions (follows). Cover, let rise in a warm place until light and doubled in size, about 30 minutes. Bake at 375*F according to shape until loaf sounds hollow when lightly tapped. Immediately remove from pans; cool.
- 8(If loaf becomes too brown, cover with tin foil during last 10 minutes of baking.).
- 9WHOLE WHEAT BREAD - (Basic Recipe).
- 10Follow white bread recipe. After beating with mixer, stir in 3 cups of Whole Wheat flour in stead of white, knead in 3/4 to 1-1/4 cups white flour.
- 11MEDIUM RYE BREAD - (Basic Recipe).
- 12Follow White Bread recipe. After beating with mixer, stir in 3 cups medium rye flour instead of white flour. Knead in 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 cups white flour (rye flour dough usually remains slightly sticky). Rye dough should not completely double in size. Add 1 Tbsp freshly crushed Caraway Seeds with rye flour.
- 13NOTES: At high altitudes (5000 feet plus) - after first rising, punch down dough and then allow to rise a second time in the bowl. Decrease the first (and second) rising periods by 15 minutes each.
- 15INGREDIENT VARIATIONS. (may be used in any of the above basic bread recipes). Ingredients stirred in are added with the flour as it is stirred inches.
- 16HONEY/MOLASSES: substitute 1/4 cup for sugar. Reduce milk to 3/4 cup.
- 17BROWN SUGAR: substitute 1/4 cup (firmly packed) for the white sugar.
- 18ROLLED OATS: stir in 1/2 cup.
- 19WHEAT GERM: stir in 1/2 cup.
- 20CHEESE: stir in 1 cup shredded Cheddar, American, Monterey Jack or Swiss cheese.
- 21HERBS & SPICES: stir in 1/4 to 1/2 tsp celery seed or dill weed, or 1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning, or 2 Tbsp minced chives, caraway or sesame seeds.
- 22ONION: stir in 1/2 cup, finely chopped.
- 23RAISINS/CHOPPED DATES OR OTHER DRIED FRUIT: Use Sweet Dough recipe; stir in 1-1/2 cups fruit.
- 25SPECIALTY WHITE BREAD VARIATIONS - (use Basic White Bread Recipe).
- 26FRENCH BREAD: Reduce sugar to 1 Tbsp; Omit milk and eggs; Use 2 cups water; Reduce stirred in flour to 1-1/2 to 2 cups. Increase first rise to 1 hour. Shape and bake according to Shaping and Baking directions.
- 27FRENCH LOAF OR ROLLS: Brush with beaten egg just before baking.
- 29RICH EGG BREAD - (use Basic White Bread Recipe) Increase sugar to 1/3 cup. Decrease water to 3/4 cup. Use 3 eggs.
- 31SOUTH OF THE BORDER LOAF - (use Basic White Bread Recipe) Decrease sugar to 1 tablespoons Decrease milk to 1/2 cup. Increase stirred in flour to 3-1/2 to 4 cups. With this flour, Stir in the following: 1/2 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup chopped olives, 1/2 cup chopped onion, 1 cup shredded Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1 to 4 TBSP minced green chilies (optional). Shape and bake according to directions for regular or round loaves, or rolls.
- 33SWEET DOUGH - (use Basic White Bread Recipe) Increase sugar to 1/2 cup. Eliminate water. Use 2 cups milk. Substitute butter or margarine for oil.
- 34CINNAMON SWIRL - (use Sweet Dough Recipe) Pat each half of dough into a 7x14-inch Rectangle; spread with 1 Tbsp butter or Margarine. Combine 1/2 cup sugar and 2 Tbsp Cinnamon; sprinkle half of mixture over each rectangle. Starting with the 7-inch side, roll jelly-roll style. Seal all edges tightly. Shape and bake according to instructions for a regular loaf.
- 36SPECIALTY DARK BREAD VARIATIONS - (follow Whole Wheat or Medium Rye Basic Recipes).
- 37DELICATESSEN RYE BREAD - (use Basic Med-Rye Recipe} Omit sugar, water and 1 egg. For warm liquid, heat 1-3/4 cups milk, 1/4 cup molasses, 1/4 cup cooking oil and 1 square unsweetened chocolate (chocolate does not need to melt). Along with stirred in flour at 1 Tbsp Caraway Seed (optional) Stir in 1/4 to 1 cup white flour with the rye flour. Do let the dough to rise until double. Increase first rise to about 1 hour and the second to about 40 minutes. Increase the baking temperature to 400*F. Bake loaves 30-40 minutes.
- 38HEARTY WHOLE WHEAT LOAVES - (use Basic Whole Wheat Recipe) Substitute 1/4 cup brown sugar for the white sugar. Along with the stirred in flour add 1/2 cup each Wheat Germ and Rolled Oats and 2 Tbsp Sesame Seeds. Decrease kneaded in white flour to 1/4 to 3/4 cup. Increase first rise to about 1 hour.
- 39LIGHT PUMPERNICKEL BREAD - (use Basic Med-Rye Recipe) Eliminate sugar. Decrease water to 3/4 cup. Heat 1/4 cup molasses with other liquids. Along with stirred in flour add 2 Tbsp caraway seeds.
- 40100% WHOLE WHEAT BREAD - (use Basic Whole Wheat Recipe) Eliminate white flour. Stir in 3 to 3-1/2 cups whole wheat flour; knead in a further 1/2 to 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour.
- 42SHAPING AND BAKING: Use half of dough to make each shape. Using solid shortening, generously grease pans. If desired, just before baking, slash top of loaf in any design using a sharp knife.
- 43BAKE BREADS at 375*F: [U]All Loaves[/U] - 35 to 45 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when lightly tapped.
- 44ALL ROLLS - 10 to 20 minutes.
- 45REGULAR LOAF: Use a 9x5 or 8x4-inch loaf pan. Press dough into pan; insert fingers between pan and dough to round edges.
- 46ROUND LOAF: Use an 8 or 9-inch round cake pan, 1-1/2 quart round casserole or cookie sheet. Form dough into round ball; flatten slightly.
- 47FRENCH & OBLONG LOAF: (Use a large cookie sheet).
- 48FRENCH: form dough into 14-inch loaf; taper ends.
- 49OBLONG: form dough into 8 to 10-inch oblong loaf; round ends.
- 50ROPE SHAPED LOAVES: Shape half of dough into a 26-inch rope; form into any desired shape described below.
- 51COIL: Use 8 or 9-inch round cake pan, 1-1/2 quart round casserole or cookie sheet. Beginning at center of loaf, roll rope into snail shape; tuck tail under.
- 52TWIST: Use a 9x5 or 8x4-inch loaf pan or cookie sheet. Cut rope in half to form two 13-inch ropes. Twist together; seal ends.
- 53FIGURE EIGHT: Use a 9x5 or 8x4-inch loaf pan or cookie sheet. Form rope into figure-eight; seal ends.
- 54DOUGHNUT: Use cookie sheet. Form circle by bringing ends of rope together; seal. Flatten circle to 1-1/2 inch thickness.
- 55ROLLS - (use large cookie sheets).
- 56ROUND: Form dough into 12 2-inch balls.
- 57VIENNA: From dough into eight 6-inch oval rolls; flatten slightly.
- 58BREADSTICKS: Cut dough into walnut size pieces. Roll with hands into 5-inch sticks.
- 59BREAD GLAZES - use any of the following glazes to create different crusts.
- 60SOFT BUTTERY CRUSTS: Brush loaves with softened or melted butter or margarine AFTER BAKING.
- 61CRISP SHINY CRUST: Brush loaves with a mixture of 1 egg and 1 Tbsp water JUST BEFORE BAKING. May be sprinkled with poppy or sesame seed.
- 62DELICATESSEN CRUST: Remove loaves from oven 5 minutes before done; brush with a mixture of 1/2 tsp cornstarch and 1/4 cup water that has been heated to boiling. Return to oven to finish baking.
- 63CINNAMON/SUGAR CRUST: Brush loaves with 2 Tbsp melted butter or margarine; sprinkle with mixture of 2 Tbsp sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon AFTER BAKING.
- 64SLIGHTLY CRISP, SHINY SWEET CRUST: Brush loaves with a mixture of 1 Tbsp each of sugar and water AFTER BAKING.
- 65From: http://www.recipelink.com/mf/31/10995.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Yeast Bread With Variations
Serving Size: 1 (1419 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1784.5
- Calories from Fat 368
- Total Fat 40.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 203.0 mg
- Sodium 3636.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 299.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.0 g
- Sugars 26.0 g
- Protein 51.5 g