Recipe by bobyan
This hearty soup is easy to prepare and tastes great.
Top Review by Ilysse
We loved this. I doubled the recipe and used escarole rather than spinach. I also diced the carrots rather than shredding. I had never used barley before so I was a little unsure when reading the recipe how to cook it but I followed the directions on the bag. I also needed much more broth than called for to get this to a soup consistency but that just may be a matter of preferance. All in all, a wonderful soup that the whole family and one guest loved. I'll be making this again. Oh, and while its called a winter soup I think its light enough (while being very filling) to be a great warm weather soup as well.
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 5 medium potatoes
- 3 ounces fresh spinach
- 1 carrot
- 14 ounces chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup light cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook barley in covered pot till soft.
- Drain and put barley aside.
- Dice, peel and cook potatoes in chicken broth till soft.
- Mash till almost smooth.
- Add shredded carrot and finely chopped spinach.
- Cook till vegetables soften. 5 minutes.
- Add cooked barley and stir to mix.
- Add butter and cream right before serving.