Recipe by Sudika
A crisp out of this world deep fried snack, loved all over the world. You can make any filling you want, mine is just a suggestion. Good combinations are sweet corn and cheese, spinach and feta, soya mince, lentils etc. Make filling first and then while it is cooling, you can make the pastry.
Top Review by eatrealfood
we totally loved this. cauliflower and peas with feta make a surprisingly delightful combination for samosas. i made a small batch since we are relocating next week, but once i move into my new home i plan to triple a batch of this to freeze. thanks for this delicious healthier take on samosas, sudika - please post more interesting fillings for samosas if you know of them. (sorry forgot the stars)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons ghee, melted (can use butter)
- 3⁄4 cup lukewarm water (approximately, you may need more or less)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cauliflower, cut into medium florets
- 1 cup frozen peas, washed
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat feta cheese, coarsely crumbled
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (or more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon gingerroot, freshly grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon asafoetida powder
- 1 tablespoon oil
- salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, very finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil. Add fennel, mustard and ginger. When mustard crackles, add garam masala, chili powder and asafetida. Stir briefly. Add cauliflower and salt and stir. Cook for 10 minutes or so. Can add few tbsp of water or so if cauliflower is sticking. Add peas and cook for a further 10 minutes or so. Again a bit of water may be needed. Let the filling cool to room temperature. Then mix in crumbled feta.
- Mix salt and flours together.
- Rub ghee into flour till it looks like breadcrumbs. Add water with one hand gradually, while mixing in with other hand. Add enough water to make it smooth and elastic like roti dough. Knead dough well, for 5 minutes or so.
- Sprinkle a few drops of water on the dough and cover with a cloth to prevent it from drying out while rolling the circles. Divide dough into 10 circles. Roll circles out into a 2mm thick circles.
- Cut each circle into two semi circles. Fold each semi circle into half to make a cone, wet the seam of the cone with water and press well. Fill the cones with COOLED filling leaving at least 1 cm space on top of the cone. Wet and press like for previous seam, and then pleat the sealed seam or press with a fork. Deep fry samosa on MODERATE heat till a deep golden brown, turning 2 or 3 times in the oil. Drain, and enjoy!
- Cooks Tip: to Freeze Samosas, place them in a single layer on a cookie sheet and flash freeze for an hour. Then place frozen samosas in Ziploc bags and keep in freezer. TO use, leave them to stand till room temperature, or defrost in a microwave, before frying.