Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This hearty whole grain bread is easy and quick to make almost any time. At a total of 75 minutes from start to finish, this non-yeast bread is a simple way to make a healthy addition to your family's diet, including lots of fiber and omega-3 fatty acids. Its great for summer sandwiches. Feel free to substitute coarse-ground rye flour for the whole wheat.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, mix the flax seed, bulgar wheat, and pearl barley. Add 1 cup of water, mix well, cover, and microwave on high for 3 minutes. When finished, set aside to cool while you mix the dry ingredients.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together flour, oats, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
- Cut in/mix in the seeds/grains until well blended.
- Add remaining 2 cups water and mix until well blended.
- Bake in center of your oven at 400 for 45 minutes.
- (Note: The dough will be very moist and sticky, so do not try to knead or work with your hands. However, it should not be so wet that it acts like a batter. Use a spatula to transfer it direcly from the mixing bowl to a greased/vegetable sprayed 4x4x8 loaf pan. My wife and I eat a low-sodium diet, so we don't add any extra salt, and use Featherlite baking powder. When making it this way, the total sodium per slice falls to 42 mg.
- Hope you enjoy!