Prep 3 mins
Cook 7 mins
Making sauces is simple in a microwave oven since you don't have to worry about scorching, sticking or overcooking. Occasional, rather than constant, stirring prevents lumping.
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 cup milk
For Cheese Sauce
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup grated cheddar cheese
For Curry Sauce
- 1 -2 teaspoon curry powder
For Horseradish Sauce
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
For Mustard Sauce
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- Combine melted butter, flour and salt in a medium bowl.
- Gradually add milk and stir until smooth.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, at MEDIUM heat in a microwave for 6 to 7 minutes, or until the sauce is thickened.
- For Cheese Sauce: Stir in 1/2 to 3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese.
- Cook at HIGH for 1 to 2 minutes, if necessary, to completely melt cheese.
- For Curry Sauce: Stir in 1 to 2 teaspoons curry powder.
- For Horseradish Sauce: Add 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish.
- For Mustard Sauce: Add 2 tablespoons prepared mustard and a dash of Worcestershire sauce.
- Please note this Mustard Sauce is not Vegetarian.
I have been using this since I got my first microwave in 1984! This recipe came with the cookbook included with my Quasar microwave but added 1/8 teaspoon of white pepper and 1/8 teaspoon of dry mustard also. It just adds a little flavor, since I leave out the salt. It is so much easier than the top of the stove method.
Worked like a charm! I haven't bought any white based sauces since I started making this recipe. Thanks so much for posting this versatile, little gem!
Wonderful base recipe. I used it to make a cajun alfredo sauce by adding cajun seasonings and parmesan cheese. yum! My hubby liked even better than the original stove-top version. I look forward to trying your variations. Thanks for sharing!