I LOVE THIS RECIPE! I used shrimp and thinly sliced (left over) roasted zucchini to jazz up my sauce tonight and it turned out yummier than ever before! Add to any cooked pasta to make an all-in-one meal (just remember to pre- cook any meat or veggies) OR I like useing it as a warm appetizer to dip warmed crusty bread into when I make an italian style dinner. ALSO: I "eye ball" all my measurements so please adjust as necessary. Start with a portion of the measurement and keep adding more little by little til it "looks right" and move on :) DO NOT add salt! There is plenty of salt in the butter, chicken stalk, and cheese to meet your needs! IN FACT you may want to opt for low sodium chicken stalk and/or unsalted butter. I happen to like the salt. :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large deep sauce or frying pan: Melt butter on MEDIUM LOW heat! Nice and slow! I tend to think mine will get done faster if I turn up the heat a bit and I ALWAYS burn my butter -- Learn from my mistakes! GO SLOW!
- 2Whisk in flour til it is a smooth, slightly thickened, liquid. Typically refered to as a "rue". This may take slighly more OR LESS than 1/4 c flour. It should be completely smooth and still liquid though!
- 3Add 1/4 c milk (more or less). WHISK! DON'T STOP WHISKING! Your liquid will become an almost immobile mass in your pan. YAY! :) Keep adding milk til you are comfortable with the texture.
- 4Add Chicken Broth SLOWLY as with with the milk whisking the whole time. Your looking for a slightly thinner sauce than you'll want over all because the cheeses will begin to thicken it and as it cools, it gets even thicker still. Most will probably already know these steps as it's fairly common procedure but I HAD to list them for those of you who have not experienced this method. Alot of gravy's, soup's, and sauces will call for similar treatment. And who doesn't LOVE butter!? Don't answer that -- My husband doesn't! lol But he loves this recipe!
- 5Now add your cheeses, garlic, parsley, and pepper. WHISK! lol
- 6TASTE TEST! If your eyes don't close in a quick moment of bliss, you probably need a little more cheese or spice! :) Also: This would be when you add things like pepared diced chicken or shrimp or veggies, just continue on medium low heat til warmed through. ENJOY!
Browse Our Top < 30 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 30 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy White Sauce for Pasta
Serving Size: 1 (655 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 617.8
- Calories from Fat 487
- Total Fat 54.2 g
- Saturated Fat 33.7 g
- Cholesterol 145.2 mg
- Sodium 1192.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 14.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: