Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
DH and I made this recipe from the Field Roast website a few days ago. We thought it was pretty good for being so easy and quick to make. Field Roast is a brand that makes very good vegetarian sausages, among other vegetarian products. It can be found at Whole Foods. For the mixed herbs, I used sage, chives, and thyme.
- 3 field roast Italian sausages
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 medium onions, halved and sliced thin lengthwise (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons mixed chopped fresh herbs, such as rosemary, thyme, sage
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 cup chopped scallion top (or fresh parsley)
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes including juice
- 19 ounces white beans, drained and rinsed (cannellini, navy, Great Northern)
For the Topping
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 slices firm white bread, crusts discarded, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1 small garlic clove, chopped fine
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley leaves (wash and dry before chopping)
- In a medium skillet, cook sausages in oil over moderate heat, turning them, until browned on all sides and cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- In fat remaining in skillet, cook onions and garlic, stirring, until golden, and stir in herbs (including bay leaf), scallions or parsley, tomatoes with juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Boil mixture, stirring, 5 minutes. Cut sausage into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Add sausage and beans to tomato mixture and cook, stirring, until heated through. Discard bay leaf and keep "cassoulet" warm, covered.
- Make topping: In a small skillet, heat oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and saute bread until pale golden. Stir in garlic, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste and saute, stirring, 1 minute. Transfer "cassoulet" to a 1-quart serving dish and cover evenly with topping. Serve.