Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
The first time I had this was at a race in Charlotte, NC. The guys cooked and these onions were on the menu. Excellent! These make a beautiful plate with a steak and corn on the cob. Even better that all can be cooked on the grill.
- 4 medium vidalia onions, whole
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- Peel onions leave whole.
- Cut a core in the center of the onion just large enough to fit a boullion cube.
- Place onions in a tin foil pan with cored end up.
- Place boullion cube in each onion.
- Fill pan with water about half way up on onions.
- Cover with foil.
- Place on grill for 30-45 minutes depending on how soft you like onions.
- Can be cooked in regular oven at 350.
Made this with chicken bouillon cubes, then had my neighbor do the grilling! Both of us thought they were nice tasting & next time would make them as suggested, with the beef bouillon! [Made & reviewed for one of my adopted chefs in this Spring's Pick-A-Chef]
I prepared this in the oven and found the technique did not quite work for me. While the onions were perfectly cooked (tender without being the slightest bit mushy), the flavor results were not quite right. In my case, the bouilion cube did not melt and as a result the center part of the onion as salty and the flavor overpowering and the outside had no added flavor at all.