Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a delicious side dish to any meal, even people that do not like onions, like this recipe! also, this can be prepared a day ahead, and baked when ready.
- 6 large vidalia onions, peeled and sliced very thinly
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 30 Ritz crackers (use one sleeve of crackers, coarsely crushed)
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 2-qt casserole dish.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter.
- Add onions to pan, over high heat, saute until soft, and just starting to brown, about 20-25 minutes
- Remove from heat.
- Place half of the onions in the baking dish; cover with half the crackers, and half of the Parmesan.
- Repeat to make another layer of onions, crackers and Parmesan Bake, uncovered, until cheese on top is lightly browned, about 25 mins Serve warm.
- Note: if made a day ahead, let cool, and keep refrigerated until time to reheat for serving.
This is a very flexible recipe. I used 1/2 parmesan and 1/2 hot pepper cheese and scaled the recipe down for two people. thanks.
So easy and so delicious! I made this for a Memorial Day Weekend cookout and everyone enjoyed it. The onions tasted so sweet and were a great side dish or topper for hamburgers and hot dogs!
This makes a very tasty side dish. It is quick, easy and delicious. I used parmesan cheese, but I think it would also taste great with other types of cheese as well. Thanks for sharing!