Recipe by Roosie
Easy, and healthy if you use less cheese than I did. EXTREMELY tasty! These microwave very well and any leftover sauce can be refrigerated and used later. Sauce and enchiladas can also have jalapeños, chili powder to spice them up or other veggies. I used a couple baby carrots, for color and a little flavor- YUM!
Top Review by EMcooks
Thanks for a great recipe. I also used only 2 cups of broth and added additional veggies and black beans like another poster suggested. Love that i usually have everything on hand to make the sauce so enchiladas are now an easy staple in our home.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder (or some chopped garlic)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or chicken or beef, if you like)
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce (I actually used Prego)
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 4 (10 inch) flour tortillas
- 1⁄2 cup chopped mushroom
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄4 cup chopped red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheese (I used sharp cheddar and monterey jack or colby)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté olive oil, spices and flour in a pot (it must hold about 4 cups of enchilada sauce) until browning and fragrant.
- Break up clumps as best you can.
- Add vegetable broth, tomato sauce and salsa and simmer, stirring frequently until thickened.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sauté veggies with olive oil or butter until onions are transparent.
- Heat tortillas in the microwave until soft (about 35 seconds) or put some butter in a skillet and toast that way.
- The tortillas just need to be soft enough to fold into enchiladas without breaking.
- Fill tortillas with veggie mixture.
- Add desired amount of cheese.
- Drizzle sauce in enchilada.
- Fill a pan or casserole dish with a thin layer of enchilada sauce, place enchiladas in dish as completed.
- Finally, pour sauce over enchiladas and sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Bake 15-20 minutes at 350°F.
- **Any additional veggies or spices can be added, removed or altered in accordance to personal tastes- let me know how it works out!