Recipe by Anu
I made this for my sister last night, and she raved so spontaneously that I realised this was probably good enough to post here! :-) Personally, I would use less of the bell peppers, but she loves them! You can also add some fresh corn kernels, if you have them... play around with this recipe as much as you want!
Top Review by Manda
I doubled this recipe, and boy, am I sure glad I did because I ate two of these for lunch!! These are SOOOO yummy!! I used fresh garlic, and dipped my burrito(s) in salsa. Thank you, Anu, for a recipe that is sure to become a staple for me!!:) ~Manda
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder (you may use fresh garlic if you like; all I have is the powder!)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped tomato
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 cup vegetarian refried beans
- 1 whole wheat flour tortilla (I use 95% fat-free)
- salsa (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat water (yes, water!) in a saucepan and saute the onions and bell peppers until the peppers are as tender as you want them.
- Add the garlic powder, tomatoes, basil, oregano and cook until tomatoes are soft.
- Now add the refried beans and cook until bubbling.
- Meanwhile, heat a skillet and heat the tortilla, about 15 seconds on each side; remove from the skillet onto serving dish.
- Spoon the refried beans mixture into the centre of the tortilla, fold the right and left sides one-third to the centre, then roll up from top to bottom and eat immediately!
- Or, roll it any way you want, and eat immediately!
- Top with salsa, if you like.