Recipe by Dreamer in Ontario
These burgers have been tested and approved by my DD. The original recipe is from Chatelaine. The original name of this recipe is "Amazing Veggie Burgers".
Top Review by Grandma Winnie
First time I ever made or tasted veggie burgers. I made them for a vegetarian friend, who was visiting. She said it was the best veggie burger that she had ever eaten. I made them almost like the recipe call for except I added 2 small carrots finely grated and i/2 a red pepper and 1/2 an orange pepper, and I used olive oil instead of canola. Thanks for the excellent recipe. My daughter and I also thought that they were excellent. She grilled them.
- 19 ounces black beans
- 1⁄3 cup onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons barbecue sauce or 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce or 1 tablespoon soya sauce or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons HP steak sauce
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs (must be store bought to work) or 1⁄2 cup cracker crumb, ground in processor until very fine (must be store bought to work)
- 1⁄2 cup old cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 crusty bread rolls
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain and rinse beans with cold water.
- Drain again and pat dry with paper towels.
- Add beans, onions, garlic, egg, 2 tbsp barbecue sauce, Worcestershire sauce, oil, salt and pepper to food processor.
- Pulse until beans are the size of peas.
- Place pulsed mixture into a large bowl.
- Add flour and stir until evenly mixed.
- Add bread crumbs and mix well.
- Add cheese and mix with your hands (mixture is thick).
- Divide mixture into six portions.
- Flour your hands and shape into 1/2-inch thick burgers (if you don't flour your hands the mixture will stick to them).
- The burgers may be refrigerated in a sealed container for 1 day or frozen until ready to grill.
- Oil your grill and preheat grill to medium-high.
- Place burgers on grill.
- Brush with remaining barbecue sauce.
- Barbecue with lid down until hot, turning once, for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Serve on buns with desired toppings i.e. pickles, onions, tomatoes, salsa.
- For vegetarian make sure you use either a vegetarian Worcestershire sauce or the soy sauce.